Friday, July 11, 2008

Databases: Part 4

Search Strategy: Citation Pearl Growing/Snowball
Search Engine: EBSCOhost Research Databases
Database: Academic Search Complete

To begin my search I entered the search terms (school library AND storytelling AND motivate). The search returned 2 hits and I started with an article that is a perfect match to my blog topic, titled "Children as Storytellers."











Then I used the subject terms to find more articles on the same topic. The subject term I chose was "Storytelling" which returned 1960 hits. The results were very broad and hard to search through, but I ended up finding a great article titled, "Once Upon a Time: Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and Reader's Theater with Children in Grades PreK-6." It is a review of a book by Judy Freeman.












Author: Mary Jean Smith

Source: School Library Journal 54 no. 4 (April 2008): 176.

Abstract:
The article reviews the book "Once Upon a Time: Using Storytelling, Creative drama, and Readers's Theater with Children in Grades PreK-6," by Judy Freeman.












Reflection: I did not find this method to be as useful because the snowball effect was more time consuming than some of the other search strategies. I quickly found an article to start with but had trouble using subject terms to find other articles on my topic because the subject terms were so broad and my topic was very specific. It took a little bit of time to find an article within those search terms and I chose not to continue searching because like the article I started with, it had the same subject term and I would be back at where I started.

No comments: