Thursday, July 10, 2008

Databases: Part 2

Search Strategy: Specific Facet First
Search Engine: Wilson Web
Database: Library Literature

For this database I will use the Specific Facet First search strategy and search for the following: school(elementary or primary) and storytelling and (motivate or inspire).

Results:
School and (elementary or primary) returned 2217 hits
storytelling returned 654 hits

(motivate or inspire) returned 1196 hits.












First I start with my most specific facet which is "storytelling" since it returned the fewest hits.

Next I add my next most specific facet which is "motivate or inspire". The search has narrowed things down quite a bit as I received 4 hits.













I found the following article to be most useful to answering my question, How can storytelling motivate young readers?


Title:The Gift That Keeps on Giving
Personal Author:Arnold Renea and Colburn Nell
Journal Name:School Library Journal
Source:School Library Journal 53 no. 9 (September 2007): 31.
Publication Year:2007
Abstract:In addition to enhancing daily service and programming, the use of evidence-based practices at Multnomah County Library in Portland, Oregon, inspired the library to create an instructional DVD for new librarians that demonstrates and explains the incorporation of research-based early literacy practices into children's story time. This resource, called Storytime: Not Just for Kids Anymore, includes information on the six essential reading-readiness skills, how to identify them during story time, and how to address parents' queries about early-literacy enhanced story times.

Reflection: The article offered inspirational ideas on how to have a fun and effective story time with toddler and preschool-aged children. I really enjoyed using this search strategy as I felt that all 4 of my results were useful to my question, though two were aimed towards teenagers and not children.

No comments: