Thursday, July 10, 2008

Databases: Part 3

Search Strategy: Successive Fractions

Database: JStor

This time my search strategy will be successive fractions and my search string will remain the same. Unlike Specific Facet First, this time I will be starting my search with the search term that created the most hits, that being: school and (elementary or primary). This resulted in over 300,000 hits so I move onto the next facet: motivate or inspir
e. I still have over 20,000 results so I move on to the third facet: storytelling. After completing the third facet I am still left with just over 500 hits, still too many to look through.













Now I will limit my search even further by adding a date range of articles from 2004 to 2008. My search returns 3 results.












Reflection: Using this search strategy, I did not produce any hits related to my question. This leaves me to wonder if it is my search terms, the user, or the database. As I searched, I noticed that this database seems to offer little information on teaching, schools, and libraries. So far, the strategy that has shown the best results is the specific facet first.

No comments: